Rounders is played between two teams and the aim of the game is to score the most Rounders.
The very basic rules are:
- Teams can be a minimum of 6 players and a maximum of 15 players. 9 players are on the field for each team at any one time.
- If a mixed team – there should be no more than 5 male players.
- One team bats while the other team fields and bowls.
- The bowler bowls the ball to the batter who hits the ball anywhere on the Rounders pitch. The batter then runs to as many posts as possible before the fielders return the ball to touch the post the batter is heading for.
- If the batter reaches the 2nd or 3rd post in one hit, the batting team scores ½ Rounder. If the batter reaches 4th post in one hit, the batting team scores a Rounder.
- A batter can be out if the fielding team catch the ball hit by the batter before it touches the ground or by touching the post the batter is heading to with the ball before the batter reaches it.
A copy of the recommended scoresheet and accompanying score key can be downloaded alongside a copy of the simplified rules or the complete © Official Rounders Rules book can be purchased online.
If you’re an umpire or a coach, you can download a copy of the standard risk assessment document.
If you have a rule query, it may be answered in our FAQs.